Friday, August 18, 2006

Someday I'll be Saturday Night

"I'm feelin' like a monday, but someday I'll be saturday night"

Something about the Bon Jovi's song "Someday I'll be Saturday Night" strikes a chord with me, giving me the imperative to choose the title as the name for this blog. The lyrics gives us a voyuer into a bunch of characters (two named, actually. But heck, this is art, cut me some slack...) in a Vegas town whose lives are pretty much bound where the sun doesn't shine. Dreams unfulfilled, innocence forcibly taken away, a girl turning hooker, life crashing on autopilot...

Bad breaks, bad beraks...


"Now I can't say my name, and tell you where I am/I want to roll myself away, dont know if I can/I wish that I could be in some other time and place/With someone else's soul, someone else's face"


We all get flushed down life's toilet one way or another, one time or another, some more than others, some hidden further from view than others. We can't pretend they're not there. The human in us just want so much to escape, to run away from it all. There are Houdinis in some souls, sitting ducks in others.

What would you be?

Survive

"And Tuesday just might go my way/It can't get worse than yesterday/Thursdays, Fridays aint been kind/But somehow I'll survive..."

Sometimes that's the best we can do. Many times, being able to is a blessing. Think about those who didn't. Still...


"Hey man! I'm alive, I'm takin each day and night at a time/Yeah I'm down, but I know I'll get by/Hey hey hey hey, man gotta live my life/Like I ain't got nothin but this roll of the dice/I'm feelin like a monday, but someday I'll be Saturday night"

...
It's about choice. And loads of guts. We hynotise ourselves with the mantras of people who don't live our lives, and base our choices as if we are living theirs. Choices to conform while not having the capabilty to bear the weight of what we've been conformed to is not really a choice. It's assimilation.


Do we have the guts to stand up, walk out, and someday be a Saturday night?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home